Christmas Veggie Burger
A slight adjustment to some of the ingredients here give it a Christmas flavour.
1 cup Mushrooms
2 medium Aubergine
1 Celer rib
1 Red Pepper
3 Cloves Garlic
1 cup of pearl barley
1 tin of chickpeas or 1 tin of Kidney beans
1/4 / 1/2 cup flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon of Marmite
3 cups Panko breadcrumbs
1) Bake the aubergine and mushrooms wrapped in tin foil with sprigs of Thyme. 30-45 mins ’til the aubergine is a soft pulp.
2) Meanwhile, slowly cook celery and leek until soft, then add garlic.
3) Carefully bake a cup of mixed nuts: pistachio and pine nuts, or hazlenuts.
3) Cook pearl barley – cover in water, bring to the boil and simmer for 25 mins.
4) In a food mixer, pulp chickpeas, flour, baking powder and aubergine pulp and mushrooms. Add Veggiemite.
5) Grind the nuts ’til fine then add to the food mixer.
6) Season the mixture: salt, pepper, Tumeric, Cardamon, Coriander, Chilli …
7) At this point the mixture is ‘prepped’ and can be set aside.
8) When you are about to cook mix in a generous quantity of Panko or other crisp breadcrumbs.
9) Fry until both sides are brown then cook through in the oven for 10-20 minutes.